10 Weeks to 10 Miles
Fall Distance-Running Program
Train together-but-12-feet-apart this fall for one virtual race (Bay to Breakers 12k) and one tiny race just for us! This hybrid program meets once a week on Sunday mornings at 8:30am. Seven of the sessions will meet in person, and three of the sessions will be virtual; that way, we combine the benefits of in-person coaching and running (12 feet apart) with the flexibility of virtual training. Runners of all speeds and experience levels are welcome, although you should be comfortable with a 5-mile long run by the start of this program. This 10-week program includes a little bit of everything: hill technique, speedwork, intro to trail running, form drills, strength training, stretching, foam rolling, and more!
Over the 10 weeks, we will slowly increase our mileage to prepare for a 10-mile mini “race” on October 25. We will often meet in the Hadley area, but a few runs will be located elsewhere. See the calendar below (subject to change, especially with weather) to get a sense of the types of workouts we might do and where we will run. Runners will also receive a training calendar with suggestions for mid-week running workouts.
- Week 1: Aug 23: 6-mile run together in person, plus strength and stretch (Holyoke Reservoir)
- Week 2: Aug 30: Speedwork (in person, Amherst)
- Week 3: Sept 6:* Virtual* long run (7-8 miles), plus strength and stretch
- Week 4: Sept 13: Fartlek (in person, Hadley)
- Week 5: Sept 20: *Virtual* easy long run (6 miles) – tapering!, plus strength and stretch
- Week 6: Sept 27: In person and in costume Bay to Breakers (Hadley version) 12k (7.5 miles)
- Week 7: October 4: Speed & power (in person, Hadley)
- Week 8: October 11: Long run (in person, location TBD) – 9-11 miles
- Week 9: October 18: *Virtual* run (easy pace, 6 miles) – tapering!
- Week 10: October 25: In person 10-mile race just for us
When: Sundays 8:30 am start time, August 23- October 25
Where: Meeting locations for in person shift around the Valley
Cost: $200 for ten weeks of trainingSign Up Now!